12.24.2009

Mind Voyages Reading Challenge


As pointed out to me by Dave at Worlds Without End, there is a space race afoot! I'm a great lover of that genre that has nobly worn the name "Science Fiction," and at Mind Voyages the gauntlet has been dropped to really dig in to some of the classics, old and new, in 2010. So count me in! The list of books acceptable for the challenge is populated with Hugo and Nebula award winners and nominees - an artistic vein that has provided plenty of reading joy over the last 10 years since I initially set out to conquer "the list." I'm more than happy to fast-track a slough of books that I've been itching to get to. I'll finagle the random number generator book selection process so that every second selection will be from my challenge reading list.

My list of books to devour in 2010 is as follows:

The Yiddish Policeman's Union - Michael Chabon (2008 Hugo 2007 Nebula)
Rainbows End - Vernor Vinge (2007 Hugo)
Spin - Robert Charles Wilson (2006 Hugo)
The Doomsday Book - Connie Willis (1993 Hugo 1992 Nebula)
Blue Mars - Kim Stanley Robinson (1997 Hugo)
Paladin of Souls - Lois McMaster Bujold (2004 Hugo 2004 Nebula)
Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? - Philip K. Dick (1968 Nebula nominee)
Galactic Pot-Healer - Philip K. Dick (it's by Philip K. Dick!)
Perdido Street Station - China Mieville (2002 Hugo Nebula nominee)
The Years of Rice and Salt - Kim Stanley Robinson (2003 Locus 2003 Hugo nominee)
Blind Lake - Robert Charles Wilson (2004 Hugo nominee)
River of Gods - Ian McDonald (2005 Hugo nominee)
Red Prophet - Orson Scott Card (1989 Hugo Nominee)
Tea with the Black Dragon - R. A. MacAvoy (1983 Nebula nominee 1984 Hugo nominee)
The Integral Trees - Larry Niven (1984 Nebula nominee 1985 Hugo nominee)
The Claw of the Conciliator - Gene Wolfe (1981 Nebula nominee 1982 Hugo nominee)

For those keeping score, that's 16 titles in 12 months and taken together they qualify me for the "Jupiter Voyage" (meeting the requirements for the "Mars," "Venus," "Moon" and "Slingshot to Earth" voyages on the way - I decline the Mercury voyage on the basis of an already expressed loathing).

For those new to the genre, the list of Hugo and Nebula winners and nominees is well worth your time - I can't count the number of titles therein that I would heartily recommend. Anyone else up for the challenge? At least to the Moon and back?

4 comments:

  1. We've got quite a few books in common, Bjorn. Doomsday, Paladin, Androids, Perdido, and River of Gods. Spin is an excellent book and my favorite of the other books on your list that I've read. I've got the sequel, Axis, on my to-read pile but it's not in my challenge list so it'll be some time before I get around to it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How fabulous does River of Gods sound, eh? A futuristic India mixing hinduism with nano-tech... Have you read Zelazny's Lord of Light?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Welcome to the challenge Bjorn. I like your list of books. I just got Spin today for christmas so will be adding that to my reading list. Happy Reading!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bjorn,
    I have not read Lord of Light but it's on my general reading list. I've heard good things about it and I enjoyed many of Zelazny's other works. I take it you like it?

    ReplyDelete