12.26.2009

Seventh Son: Final Thoughts


First, the image to the right may or may not be a Pennsylvanian dutch hex sign designed to invoke strength and courage. Feelin' braver? The information on the linked site, as well as this wikipedia discussion of hexes seems to suggest that there is some controversy as to whether the art is meant to be thought of as talismanic or merely emblematic. *Semantic cough*

I've finished Seventh Son. I typically assign the books that I read a letter grade when I add them to my "books I've read list." I don't mean this to be in any way repesentative of, for instance, quality of prose, significance of work etc. - my letter grades reflect a purely subjective appreciation of the text. And Seventh Son received an A rating. What did I like so much?

First off, to continue the discussion of familiar stories below, I did my homework about Card (who still seems like a pretty swell guy), and found that he makes no bones about "loosely" basing events in the life of his character Alvin Maker on the biography of Joseph Smith Jr. I'm not sure how loosely the events are based, but no matter: I've decided that a compelling story is a compelling story. Religion, however, still makes a difference. I take for example the re-telling of current events: many novels or films are based on real-life events - and I admit, I often enjoy the dramatization. Where the water gets muddy is when the attempt is to dramatize a spiritually significant event. Though I believe (here we go again with cosmology and literature) in an absolute truth, I also believe in the subjective experience of that truth (sense?), and as such when I see someone else's interpretation of a spiritually significant event with which I feel familiar, I'm often left feeling "off" very quickly. Some of Mel's Passion anyone? Were there some jarring moments in Seventh Son as a result of this effect? Absolutely. But I found that they quickly passed, and didn't hinder my enjoyment of the text in the least. While reading, an obviously biographical event would pass and I would get that "be careful" feeling, and then Card would be just that, "careful." But then Card seems very conscious of the responsibilities and risks involved in the enterprise - I found this discussion from his personal website particularly interesting. Any non-LDS reader at this point is thinking "why all the fuss?" So I'll move along with one parting observation: LDS readers will have some fun in the text noticing some very specific points of "mormon" doctrine at work ("mormon" easter eggs, if you will) - for instance Rev. Thrower's attempt to shake hands with "the Visitor."

The themes dealt with by the novel were lovely. I finished the novel with a strong sense of the religious confusion present during the period. Card doesn't just describe the fact of religious upheaval, he takes time to examine the sources of contention through the faiths of his characters. So-called "black and white" thinking is rare, and the search for truth seems to be the paramount virtue. LDS cosmology is indeed present, though in unexpected forms. The discussion of chaos versus order (or "making and unmaking" in the language of the text) was particularly enjoyable for myself, as well as the interesting idea that the devil may well have been himself deceived... No, it was a novel with some great ideas therein. The story was compellingly written, and more than wondrous enough to merit its "fantasy" designation, although if you'd like to talk more about the difference between magic and miracle, we could get some wings. The fantasy elements were deliciously original - and I personally will look forward to further reading in this world of "knacks" and the above mentioned "hexes." The alternate history material, as well, was deeply satisfying. Knowing well how small changes can have vast consequences, I love playing my own "what if" games, and Card must have had fun transcribing his for the novel. Without spoiling too much I'll drop a small example: what if the Iroquis confederacy had been an independent signatory to early American documents and had been granted statehood? Heck, one more: what if Napoleon's feet in ancient time had walked on America's Green Mountains? I'll admit, most of this first novel in the Alvin the Maker series is spent on character development with some minor attention paid to Card's alternate history, but the set-up is tantalizingly arrayed, spurring genre fans to further reading.

For those who picked up some Blakean punning, did I mention that St. William makes an appearance? The placement of Blake on the American frontier is frankly bizarre, and I'm not sure how well it works for me, but a surprise reading of "The Garden of Love" is always welcome. I prefer to think of Taleswapper as an homage to Blake rather than the character transplanted - again, maybe here's a true story I think too good to be re-written.

My only gripe with the text might be the textbook cliff-hanger ending. I'm not sure how the novel stands on its own - a very few things felt resolved by the last page. I know I can't complain: Seventh Son works the way that most first books in an epic fantasy series work. We don't complain all that much when Boromir gets offed at the end of the Fellowship and Frodo and Sam strike out on their own. Neither do we think "and now I'll read something else." Having been introduced to some of the series' (I presume) major characters and the swellings of its grand conflict, I'll admit that I'm looking for my copy of the next in the series, Red Prophet, and not just because it's on my 2010 challenge list.

Spooky! This is the second time that I've been discussing the novel and had the Mose Allison version of "The Seventh Son" randomly play on my well-stocked iPod. Quick, someone start talking about something else so's we can ward the jinx...

1 comment:

  1. If the book is half as good a read as your review, it would be most enjoyable. Glad to see you're putting finger to keyboard again. Keep up the reading and writing. With your talent for turning a phrase and a little more free time, a regular treat is in store for followers of your new blog.

    ReplyDelete